History of Govt: College, Hyd

WEL COME TO THE ALUMNI ASSOCIATION (PHULELIANS) WEB SITE

ALUMNI ASSOCIATION
GOVERNMENT COLLEGE, HYDERABAD
(PHULELIANS)
Registration No: 3646

Home Constitution Principals Office Bearers Ex-Office Bearers Life Members
College History Welfare Fund Award of Excellence Housing Society Photo Gallery Download

HISTORY OF GOVERNMENT COLLEGE, HYDERABAD.
I - PRE-PARTITION PERIOD
FOUNDATION 01 October, 1917

On behalf of Dr. ANNIE BESANT, President, International Theosophical Society, National Educational Movement and National Educational Trust, the college was inaugurated by Dr. Ernest Wood at Besant Hall, Hyderabad, Sind

Contemplated by a devoted group of renowned philanthropists and elite of the city under the aegis of a trust "Diwan Metharam GiduMal Darmada Trust" 
The Land for the college beside the Phuleli Canal was donated by Seth Pertab Rai Manghar Singh.
The college was named as SIND NATIONAL ARTS COLLEGE, HYD
PROF. DR. EARNST WOOD, the Honorary Secretary of the NET was appointed as the first Principal. 
REGISTRATION Feb, 1919
Registered by Hyderabad Sind National College, Board.
LIBRARY 1920
Establishment of the Library.
AFFILIATION 1921
Affiliated with Bombay University
  1923
PROF. HASHMATRAI LEKHRAJ CHABLANI became the Principal
1924
PROF. HUKUM CHAND KUMAR became the Principal
July, 1925
PROF. MOTOMAL MANGHARAM GIDWANI became the Principal
RENAME
The college was renamed as NADIR SHAH EDUJI DENSHAW (N.E.D.) NATIONAL COLLEGE, HYD
RESTORATION OF PREVIOUS NAME
The previous title SIND NATIONAL ARTS COLLEGE HYDERABAD was restored after sometime.
FIRST MAGAZINE
A magazine named PHULELI was published
1926
PROF. NANIKRAM VASANMAL THADANI became the Principal
DEGREE CLASSES 20 June, 1927
Classes for B.A. (Honours) Degree in English, History, Economics, Philosophy began
RENAME 20 June, 1928
The college was renamed as DAYARAM GIDUMAL NATIONAL COLLEGE, HYDERABAD
1929
PROF. NIRMALDAS DHARAMDAS GURBAXNAI became the Principal
1932
PROF. BHAGAT RAM KUMAR became the Principal
INTERMEDIATE SCIENCE CLASSES 1934
Commencement of Intermediate Science classes
1938
PROF. HIRALAL SRICHAND BHARWANI became the Principal
POST GRADUATION (ARTS) 1940
Commencement of M.A. Literature classes
05 August, 1941
Foundation of Latif Society
1941
Foundation of EX-STUDENTS UNION
SILVER JUBILEE 20 June, 1942
Silver Jubilee of the College.
DEGREE SCIENCE CLASSES 1945
Commencement of B.Sc. Classes in Zoology, Botany and Chemistry
1947
PROF. KHUSHIRAM MOTIRAM KUNDNANI became the Principal.
Late 1947
The college was closed due to Partition of the Sub-Continent.
II - POST PARTITION PERIOD
  21 June, 1948
The college was took over by the Government of Sind.
Prof. Adrian Duarte became the Principal.
RENAME
The college was renamed as GOVERNMENT COLLEGE, HYDERABAD
POST GRADUATE M.Sc. CLASSES 1991-92
Post-Graduate Classes started for M. Sc. in Physics, Chemistry, Zoology, Botany, Mathematics, and Statistics
PLATINUM JUBILEE 05 TO 15 December, 1994
Platinum Jubilee Celebrations
References:
Khan, Prof. Mohammad Yasin (1994) Government College, Hyderabad: A Retrospect. Souvenir Platinum Jubilee, Government College, Hyderabad
Malana, Prof. Ghulam Muhammad (1994) Government College, Hyderabad: Pre-Independence Perspective. Souvenir Platinum Jubilee, Government College, Hyderabad
Chandio, Prof. Yakoob (1999) Government College Jo Ilmi Safar Verhagay Taeen. Phuleli Magazine.1997-1999

 

HomeConstitutionPrincipalsOffice BearersEx-Office BearersLife MembersCollege HistoryWelfare FundAward of Excellence
Housing SocietyPhoto GalleryDownload